The first HoliSoils project meeting and General Assembly took place in Helsinki in mid May 2022.
The project celebrated a year of activities, with scientific presentations from each of the work packages. These included:
- Analysing soil properties & drivers of microbiological processes
- Forest soils under different management scenarios in Europe
- Modelling dynamics of soil properties & element fluxes
- Harmonised soil monitoring framework for an EU GHG inventory
- Holistic sustainable soil & forest management strategies
- Soil resilience & recovery capacity after natural disturbances
The meeting offered the opportunity for the project’s many post-docs to present posters on their areas of study.
Then, a lively communication training session looked at ways partners can engage with project communications on social media and by writing blog posts.
An inspirational field trip took the group to the peatland forests of Ränskälänkorpi, where test sites for the project’s WP4 and WP5 are established. After an introduction to the study designs, there were demonstrations on four of the different types of experiments taking place in the project, on locations around Europe:
- GHG measurements
- Soil fauna sampling
- Infiltration measurements
- Soil sampling protocol discussion
Do you want to know where the rest of the HoliSoils test sites are located?
The wealth of information and activity shared during the three days’ meeting in Helsinki show that HoliSoils project is well on track and that collaboration is vital for the project’s success.
Browse all the photos from the meeting!